|Sunset—July 12, 2012.|
...Fredrick W. Thayer, captain of the Harvard University baseball squad, patented the catcher's mask—pretty cool.
I got that from Baseball Reference. I started following them on Twitter a few weeks ago and love their "Bullpen" wiki. It's a collection of crowd sourced events, births and deaths by day and year and features gems like that. Did you know Chet "The Jet" Lemon was born today too: 1955.
Pitchers and catchers are reporting to spring training this week. A handful of teams arrived yesterday, most will be in camp today or tomorrow.
The Diamondbacks start full-squad workouts Friday.
I'm ready for baseball, anxious. It's like the night before Christmas except "Christmas" (read: Opening Day) is 48 days away. Soon enough I'll be able to watch split-squad spring games on MLB.tv. That'll hold me I guess.
I spent the morning going through last season's Aces archive. I haven't posted a best of collection yet and the start of spring seems as good a reason as any.
So here are 20 of my favorite photos. Enjoy!
|Opening night—April 5, 2012.|
|Sacramento's line up card.|
|Aces in the outfield.|
|Cooper, one of Brett's Big Leaguers.|
He gave the players orange bracelets.
Many wore them all season.
|Your 2012 Triple-A National Champions.|
And here's a few more that didn't make the cut:
- It snowed on opening night.
- There was an Easter egg hunt in the outfield.
- I photographed prospects Mike Trout, Tyler Skaggs, Trevor Bauer, Wil Myers and a lot more.
- Jaime "Father Time" Moyer toed the slab for Las Vegas.
- The Super Moon.
- The bullpen sported sombreros for Cinco de Mayo.
- Archie and his buddies played kick ball.
- Mustard got lost.
- Mike Jacob's daughters weren't impressed.
- The batboy got locked in the dugout bathroom.
- Jensen Lewis won the Kentucky Derby.
- This guy won father of the year.
- The Aces changed their name for a few days.
- And of course, Ladies Night.